View Single Post
Unread 07-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #249
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Nigel: If thick base blocks are rubbish then I guess there's no need to test german waterblocks at all?
Or any number blocks at all...

Quote:
Pug: It seems to me that all we are doing here is arguing the same debate that led me to testing waterblocks with a large pump and flow control instead of with a variety of pumps and radiators. And when I said I'd make a dual radiator system with loud fans to win a competition for the good ole US of A you thought that was pretty unfair. Now that's pretty much what you are doing: "I could use a radiator more typical of the German style but then I'd switch to loud fans". I thought the concept of quiet cooling was stressed in German systems?

How hard is it to choose a complete kit put together by a German mfgr? Or barring that just send a few waterblocks on loan for me to test?
To a lesser degree that's perhaps my other gripe with all this. I was honestly interested in seeing just how a "traditional" German kit would've compared. I mean it gets thrown about often enough in US forums by German proponents that US kits suck, and that "small, quiet and elegant" is the "German way" and is every bit as good.

Instead what I see is what I would call a super-aggressive custom-assembled kit made from specially commissioned components offered by a reseller of various water cooling components.

If those are the rules of the game, then would it not be more appropriate for someone line Bruce from Cooltechnica to put together a "best of USA" kit, or perhaps a kit from a custom reseller like JPI?

Quote:
Or (here's probably the best solution) why not send me a German kit as provided by a German mfgr and then send the parts YOU would use instead for your hybrid wizard designs kit? That way we all see the tradeoffs (if any) involved in the German style, the American style, and then how much is to be gained from mixing and matching?

I am fairly confident I could get the missing parts to build either a DTek or a DD kit as well.
Totally agreed.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote