Unread 02-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #24
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Default Re: sensor calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians256
What do the labs use, then? . . . . . .
censored forum? need 0.01C to test some devices, esp rads. not sure how sensitive you need to be when testing tubing.
I cannot speak for 'scientific' labs, though others here can/could if they wished to do so
industry (where I live) generally use ASTM or similar type equipment and procedures; good enough to produce repeatable results over time and between facilities
- the 'acceptability' of data is quite predicated on others being able to replicate it

individual companies will often develop in-house procedures for greater precision and accuracy;
in Intel these are called BKMs (Best Known Method) and the writers of such are held in very high esteem, and the docs are Secret
- one such that made it into the 'public domain' is the TC to IHS soldering procedure in the stepped groove (but I would note that a TC is still used) in the P4 docs
being who I am I attempted to use an RTD instead bit could not source a 4-wire to fit into the groove, lol

I have led many here down a merry path with my personal pursuit of ever greater 'accuracy' on a budget of pennies;
but this is the consequence of what I was doing - product design, where it was essential to be able to distinguish the very small differences resulting from very small changes

now all this is wonderful for comparative product testing also, but the minutiae so exposed are generally invisible to a typical user
yes, I started the WCing 'spec wars'; but I did also elevate the level of performance in available products

returning to the original question "What do the labs use, then?";
ideally the SAME equipment used by the company for whom the data is being generated; why Intel provides TTVs, eh ?
OR
equipment and procedures SO GOOD that a room full of double PhDs will record the data points and murmur asset (what I like, lol)
- this was done recently (by some friends) with a vacuum bell on the die backside to eliminate the heat flux question, but the temp was still taken with a (calibrated) TC

refer back to the cal curves in the initial post, these can only be done with a certain type of setup
- and are only necessary for those after greater accuracy than a thermometer with a cal sticker can provide
- the greater the resolution, the greater the possible differentiation
(do note the difference in both the cal and instrument 'quality', but as I caled them they are all good - understanding that the indicated temp is NOT the 'real' temp)

this is procooling, zeros are our friends
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote