View Single Post
Unread 12-31-2002, 01:27 AM   #1
superart
Cooling Savant

Default h2o cooling setup in small confined space

I'm trying to design a water cooling setup for a 3U server rack case 17.16"(436mm)W x 5.1"(132.5mm)H x 13.78"(350mm)D. Although I might go with a 2U case (same dimensions but 3.4"(87.1mm) high)

I'm planning on cooling both the vid card and CPU.

A main concern is for the setup to be practically silent. I plan to have only 1 fan in the whole case (the radiator fan), and use a silent fanless PSU.

Due to the lack of space, I was considering making it a closed circuit system without a PSU. Kinda like this:
<look @ atached pic.>

I'm thinking about using the koolance CPU-100 block since its compact and has a see-through top, which will let me see any bubbles before I seal the system up. For the Vid card, I was thinking of using the CS-40, again because its compact, and koolance's site says its rated to handle GeForce4 and Radeon9700 cards. For the radiator, I was gunna use a BIX. I haven't thought of a pump yet, I'm open to suggestions. It needs to be compact, quiet, cool, and reliable, since I wanna set the system up, and then forget about it.

I am also debating as to weather I should water cool the hard drives. there will be very little air-flow and I'm concerned that maybe they might overheat. I plan to have something like 4 of them in there. The problem is, I'm concerned about bolting a conductive metal plate to the bottom of the circuit board of the HDD. I'm scared it might cause a short. Would it still work if I attach it to the Top (I would think that it would work even better that way, since it has full contact with the metal part). If I do decide to incorporate the HDD coolers, how should I modify the cooling system? Maybe just make a second dedicated system identical to the first one, but devoted to the HDDs. I guess this would add a second fan, but if its quite it shouldn't be too bad, and I could turn it on/off based on how hot the drives are.
Attached Images
File Type: gif watcool1.gif (31.4 KB, 231 views)

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote