View Single Post
Unread 01-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
cliff_stokes
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Fsck Error with Snap 1000

I think there are two issues going on.

I have a WD 500 gig drive. It formats fine. it is just when I try the web gui fsck or the debug version that I get and error as in my first post. It just runs out of memory and will not try to finished the check or even start the check. It quits about 1 second into the check.

It then puts the state that the drive is unknown.

I have tried to run all the possible combinations of the debug command for fsck mode. Swap version 50% memory to 90% memory.

I don't think there is an issue with the drive. I think that i-node table is to big to load into memory and it just chokes on it.

I just don't want to have the snap running an then have a reboot or something go on and then have a fsck happen and loose all data on the drive.

I have not format it and the upgraded the OS an then tried it. I have just started with a 4.0.830 version and that failed. then I went back to 3.4.805 hope that it required less memory (only needed 3 megs more) and it would run.

Issue 2:

When this has not worked I tried another drive a Maxtor 200 gig drive. The snap did not like this drive. I got the disk on and the double blink of the system light. I left it like that overnight. I think that it is because it is set to 133 ATA. (At least from following other post) . I looked for a program to change the drive to 100 ATA but I can't find it. If you still have the program I would love to have a try at it.

The Issue is that I just got the 500 gig drive and wanted to update the original 40 gig drive. When that did not work I had the 200 gig lying around and wanted to try that. No luck. I just didn't want to go and buy another drive. But that is where things seem to be going. Unless I can get a hold of a 2000 with more ram.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have really liked this forum and how helpful everyone seems to be.
cliff_stokes is offline   Reply With Quote