Thread: Pumps and heat
View Single Post
Unread 07-18-2002, 09:27 PM   #83
Myrd
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Myrd, I am confused by your statement. Pump adds heat to water, water flows into radiator where heat is dissipated. The only thing I can think of is that you are indicating that once the water has gainied its maximum amount of heat(after WB and pump) that the radiator will be at its maximum effectiveness. Do you agree?
This is the direct heat gain profile of most water cooled systems
[list=1][*]System pump imparts energy to water in the forms of Flow, Heat, entropy[*]Water passes to tubing which will remove heat from the enclosure to due Entropy. Heat always migrates to cold.[*]Water now slightly warmer 'Calories in gain from the tubing more dependent of Flow rate' moves to cooling block of component.[*]Based on temp. difference between the water and the cooling block and again the flow rate. Heat migrates to the liquid medium.[*]Water enters tubing where gains from the enclosure are now almost nonexistant.[*]Water enters radiator where in an ideal system it should reduce in velocity to enable a greater thermal transfer. [*]Water returns to the pump where velocity increases again.[/list=1]

The heat gain from the pump is not worth the reduced capacity caused by it preceeding the radiator. You want to have the least possible loss to entropy at the cooling block. Entropy caused by the tubing and fittings is from 'Laminar Flow'.

For once my job actually is fun!
Myrd is offline   Reply With Quote