View Single Post
Unread 03-09-2003, 10:53 AM   #12
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Even if this assembly is maybe too weak for the pump, just make the flow indicator and use it to shutdown the rig if there is no flow...
Yes, one of my goals is to add protection against pump failure. But this type of monitoring can't be done in passive mode, it has to be the pump, not just a sensor.

The fan was rated at .36 amp at 12v (4.3w) Is on the weak side for a pump, but it can be a lot more efficient than common ac pumps as it rotates always in the same direction. If this one is successful, I'm going to make a second one with the most powerful fan with sleeve bearings I can find.

Quote:
As for your impeller, you'd need to know what kind of force this motor is capable of. Your best bet at this point, would be to try a few basic designs:
#1: the straight paddlewheel
#2: the curved paddlewheel

You'll have to try them at various sizes.
That 4.3 w should say something, but I don't know the tipical efficiency of this type of motor.

#1 is discarded. Is only good for bidirectional rotation, but not very efficient.

#2 is what I want, but look at the variables:

-Impeler diameter
-Number of blades
-height " "
-Lenght " "
-Angle " "

Suppose I choose 3 values for each one. That makes 3^5 options; 243 impellers to make!

I prefer to make some calculations first and build only one, but don't know how.
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote