View Single Post
Unread 06-30-2003, 06:03 AM   #15
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

The ram block is two parts that bolt together sandwiching the ram chips between them. the coolant enters via one of the 8mm festo fittings that is fitted in the front ram block, and is then split to a loop channel in both front & rear ram blocks to exit agin by the other fetso fitting in the front ram block. The connection between both blocks is done with rubber O rings that are compressed to seal when it's bolted together. There was also a fair bit of base milling in key areas to avoid the surface mounts near the ram chips, and the lower "finger" that joins both blocks together has a relief milled into it so to avoid the coil on the card in this area. Took a fair bit of thought to solve this one the way I wanted, and as said it's layout shape has other constraints to its design that wont be so obvious atm. It allows a very thin, (4.85mm thick), backside ram waterblock.

Here's a few images that may help to explain how it was done, channel in backside ram block simmilar to the front side one shown. Coolant splits in the entrance chamber to both and rejoins on the other side after some passes through both front & backside block paths:

The 9800 pro doesn't seem to suffer the hot vr chip issue that the 9700 pro did, (it may do when I vmod later on though). I used a zalman chipset sink o the vr cooling plate of the 9700 Pro initially, and it helped my ram overclock. I did later make a water/vr block for it. more about that HERE

Last edited by BladeRunner; 04-18-2004 at 07:47 PM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote