View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
pdf27
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Silent, watercooled TJ-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
After all, even if a fan were to be truly silent, reasonable airflow alone through anything as uneven as a radiator or PSU is going to make at least a little noise.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the noise is. Problem is going quieter is likely to mean something close to replicating the Zalman TNN case - and that's something I would most likely have to get fabricated for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
I didn't even notice before that you had removed the entire Hard-Drive bay to make room for your hard-drive suspender and pump. I haven't removed the entire bay, (wanted to be able to keep my backup drive in it, otherwise it probably would have gone the way of yours...) but I cut some holes in the front of it so that I could run tubing straight back from the bay reservior to the pump, then the pump outlet straight down through the panel towards the radiator. Obviously you would agree that it works out nicely as far as having simple and un-restricted tube routing.
I was originally going to park the pump inside a pump box in the bottom two 5.25" bays, but the tube routing is a nightmare with the Eheim 1048 if you do that. This dictated where the pump had to be, in turn leaving me with the choice of parking the HDD right under the res (didn't appeal for leakage reasons) or where I eventually put it. Where it is has the added advantage that it gets cooled by the second of my 120mm fans.

Modifications I would do if I were doing this again would be to get the Pump/HDD holder fabricated properly in steel, take my time on the PSU wiring (modifying all wires to the right length, cutting off any that aren't needed) and finding a better way of softmounting the radiator fan to the radiator. The current mounting is slowly creeping away from the radiator under it's own weight - one of the perils of using fans with a solid aluminium frame I'm afraid.