View Single Post
Unread 07-10-2003, 10:49 PM   #189
Rufus210
Cooling Neophyte

Ok, I have to admit I haven't read through the past 8 (!) pages of posts, so I'm not sure if this has come up. TI has some power supply load share controllers. Basically you hook one up to each output, and it senses and balances out each of the outputs. Here's a quote from the product page:
Quote:
The UC3902 load share controller is an 8-pin device that balances the current drawn from independent, paralleled power supplies. Load sharing is accomplished by adjusting each supply’s output current to a level proportional to the voltage on a share bus.

The master power supply, which is automatically designated as the supply that regulates to the highest voltage, drives the share bus with a voltage proportional to its output current. The UC3902 trims the output voltage of the other paralleled supplies so that they each support their share of the load current. Typically, each supply is designed for the same current level although that is not necessary for use with the UC3902. By appropriately scaling the current sense resistor, supplies with different output current capability can be paralleled with each supply providing the same percentage of their output current capability for a particular load.

A differential line is used for the share bus to maximize noise immunity and accommodate different voltage drops in each power converter’s ground return line. Trimming of each converter’s output voltage is accomplished by injecting a small current into the output voltage sense line, which requires a small resistance (typically 20ohm – 100ohm) to be inserted.
here are all of TI's offerings in this category.
Rufus210 is offline   Reply With Quote