View Single Post
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
SaFeHeX
Cooling Neophyte

Default An interesting find?

Hi Guys,

I see the silence has been broken so i figure i would post this interesting find.

I'm not sure if it's ok to post links or not here? so i will just point you in the right direction.

I was browsing fleabay and spotted "Quantum Snap Server M4100 4x250GB 1TB Network Storage Device" being sold by "kpsurplus" in the USA

Yes you read that right - a Snap M4100 with 250GB drives fitted!!!

Most of you regulars will know, but for those who don't, it is beleived, rhumoured, even tested and proved that the M4100 is 128 bit LBA and therefore is limited to a maximum drive capacity of 137 GB.

Obviously just because the drives are fitted does not mean they are fully accessable. It is most likely to be that they can only be formatted to 137GB and someone hasn't realised this when they fitted them.

However, i thought it was interesting enough to bring it up, just incase anyone wanted to comment or maybe some genious out there has actually found a way around the limitation?

I actually own an old M4100 with it's original 4x 30GB drives in it. (i do have more modern GOS units aswell) I have some 120GB drives i will eventually put in it but Doh! my unit is a revision 001 PCB and will require me to make those resistor mods most likely. A project for a rainy and less busy day i guess.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear any comments about that "for sale" item if you have any?

I don't plan on bidding/buying it, i'm not in the same country and shipping would be far too expensive.

Have a great day!
SaFeHeX is offline   Reply With Quote