Thread: Pump roundup
View Single Post
Unread 10-26-2002, 04:59 PM   #61
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

[flame]

V12/V12, you are wasting our time with this. I don't like to sound like an @ss, but you, sir, need to be put in your place. Your ice cube example is crap in this case since in a watercooling setup you would be running a row of them down your arm. The temp differential is a key part of thermal transfer. The longer the water is in the block the more heat it will absorb until it hits an equilibrium, but what you are neglecting is that if you are constantly shuffling the barely warmed water out at a quick rate while pulling in fresh cold water you will transfer more net heat. For someone who is mocking the collective intelligence of the members of this forum, you should learn to spell for starters, and then learn to think before you start spouting inane crap, and realize that experience has a place alongside theory.

This is a strange rant, coming from somebody that likes to smash practical theory against the rocks in favor of technical theory, but in this case, you demonstrate no respect for experience while simultaneously demonstrating little to no understanding of the theories you are trollishly throwing about.

Granted, in 1000+GPH setups you will need to find a way to cool the pump (the real thermal difference here, btw, since it is most likely running at a higher W and releasing more heat into both the coolant and surrounding environment) on top of the heat load from the components you're cooling. But, if there was no other difference between the heat of a lower flow pump like a ViaAqua 1300 and a psycho high NPU2400 that pumps 1200GPH at 12ft, you would find that that NPU2400 would outcool the ViaAqua pump every time. You are looking at the individual slug of water when you should be looking at the entire system in motion. Granted, less heat would be absorbed by a single slug of water and in turn less would be removed from that slug in the radiator, but since the whole system is moving faster, the process will be finished much faster returning that freshly cooled slug of water back into the loop. There are diminishing returns at a point in the process, but for the most part (excluding the 10000000 gph pump you mentioned, though I'm trying to find one to cool my northbridge through a waterjacket I made out of cheetos and krazy glue), in our practical use, the more flow through your system, the better temps you'll get if you have adequate cooling for your pump. It's the difference between simple math and calculus, guy. You, sir, need to go back to school and pay attention this time before flaming people that know what they're talking about rather than sleeping through Advanced Pottery Design ART324 and thinking that they are a grandmaster in thermodynamics. Heh ... examples that don't apply ... what a gas considering your pathetic and short-sighted ice cube example.

At any rate, I would like to throw props to the NurseryPro pump line. They are some extremely powerful pumps that run virtually silent (the only sound out of my NPU500 was vibration related ... they vibrate like a mofo so you really have to take precautions) and they're mag-drive. They are a bit pricey, ranging from $80 for a 500 gallon model to about $250 for the 2400 gallon model, but they are definitely a pump that doesn't under-perform the specs. Plus, the 500 gallon model wasn't all that large ... if the rubber gasket around it was removed, it was about the same size as the ViaAqua.

[/flame]
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote