View Single Post
Unread 03-21-2003, 06:50 PM   #47
Althornin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by nicozeg
Thanks, you flatter me

I don’t consider myself an expert in plastics; just have some DIY experience that can be helpful for the novice. Unfortunately can’t make a step by step guide as I don’t have many pictures of the process. Now I have the pump almost done but my brother is using the digicam for some days so there’s no pics to show.

The most commonly available resin for diy work is polyester, it’s very cheap and hard, but brittle. It requires precise dosification of components at hard to measure 50/1 relationships. That’s why I prefer epoxy, It’s more expensive but easier to mix, and very tough. It’s clear and can be polished for a crystal finish but you need to be very careful at mixing, as it likes to trap tiny bubbles. Ideally you should put the fresh mix in a vacuum chamber to extract all bubbles, but that’s not common equipment for DIYers. Another thing important with epoxy is curing; it could take weeks to reach at ambient temps the hardness you get with some hours of heat. In summer just can be left under the sun (if your sun is good enough ), or leave it close to a hot lamp.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything you want.
Ok, so can you just place the piece in the oven at say, 200 degrees? (F)? or is that too hot? To cure it, i mean.
Althornin is offline   Reply With Quote