View Single Post
Unread 05-28-2004, 02:39 AM   #50
Cathar
Thermophile

Thanks for the clarification. Cascade is more restrictive in reverse though, but it could be done. I'm busy testing now so I'll throw the SS on in reverse and let you know how it goes.

The Cascade kinda muddles between "true impingement" and turbulent flow hitting structures. A "true impingement" is something that is much more widely spaced out, which I have built and played with, but the effect of the cooling is somewhat uneven, and while offering overall temperatures about the same as a White Water, it doesn't allow for as stable CPU overclocks. To "smooth out" the heat-flux requires adding more bp material, but that then costs with increased temperatures and lowers the benefits seen when boosting the pumping pressure. I have often described the Cascade as more of a turbulent mashing of water in each cup, even though I refer to it as a real impingement block, it strictly isn't - however it is more of one than most anything else on the market. The MCW462-U is perhaps the only block out there that could be classified as "true impingement".

So yeah, you're right, a turbulence mashing is perhaps a better description and can be achieved in many ways, be it a mash in a cup, or a mash around some pins, or a mash following some (optionally bumpy) fins.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote