View Single Post
Unread 10-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #19
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Default Re: DIY block performance

here is something I know a little about. Dot even think of drllinh copper with the dremel drill press. You aint gonna like it. Sure it can be done if you peck drill and have all day and night and some of the next day.

Like JD said, drill press. $50 to $100. But dont try and get creative and mill with it. (Havent we talked about all this way back when?) Drill presses are desinged for one type of load. Direct down force, you start getting side loads on those bearings and ugly stuff will happen. And just so you know and just so i know it was said, you cannot hold a peice of material in your hands and try to drill or machine it. Bandaids will happen.

The x2 mill Harborfreight anf grizzly sells them, they are cheap and descent. There are also some CNC retro kits for them. Also I beleive that you can get an larger table for them as well.

Now i know whats going to happen, your gonna go look at harbor freight and see one of those X Y tables. And your gonna get he idea of bolting that to your drillpress and poof, instant manual mill. Go for it!!!!!!! lolol, (I been down that road) You will hurt something not to mention, you have no real way of measuring or dialing anything in.

Machining is not easy, nor is it fast. it takes alot of time and patience not to mention money.

Sorry for my typing, but im one handed these days.
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote