View Single Post
Unread 09-29-2004, 03:49 PM   #59
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
unfortunately copper and aluminum don't bond easily (that I'm aware of)
brass tubes are for strength, the modern aluminum tubes have internal dividers or dimples increasing both the surface area and/or turbulence
and aluminum is cheaper

always compromises

There is a big difference between the two I think everyone hasn't looked at. Aluminum will allow for greater surface area and is stronger than you could do with copper tubing. Aluminum allows for a thinner flat tube than copper which makes use of the available surface area better and increased turbulance inside the flat tube. The pic that JD posted of one cut in half will show this. The normal/old copper heater core tubes will not be as flat of a tube. Not to forget the weight between the two. Aluminum rad of the same size of the copper one will perform just the same as the copper and be lighter, cheaper. This is why auto manufactures tend to use Aluminum rads these days.
If you look at the pro-performance auto rad manufactures, The aluminum rads are bigger, thicker and have tons more surface area than the copper one of the same weight. They also cool alot better just based on that but you pay an arm and a leg for one.
But, we're talking about two different markets. I wouldn't want to buy an Aluminum rad for my pc and run 50/50 or more just for corrosion protection.

Me personally, would like to see a pc rad of copper based on Cathar's and a few other's post.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...light=radiator

I would go as far as saying introducing turbulance inside the copper tubing - although it's an expense of pressure drop.

More food for the gander.

http://www.thermal-management-testin...issipation.htm

.05 in.H2O is about as good as you will get with an axial fan - if your lucky.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote