View Single Post
Unread 10-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #17
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

ok, to answer your questions, the lexan was cut to size where i purchased it, any place that deals with that sort of thing specifically should do that for you free of charge when you order it. that was a HUGE help in ensuring that the sides were square and pretty exact to their overall dimensions. That said, that was only the rough squares & rectangles, all the holes, slots, and openings i cut with a hand saw. the "glue" is actually more of a welding agent, it bonds the two pieces together so its incredibly strong. the process i used to glue the box was to tape the box together how i wanted it, and then run the syringe full of glue (because the stuff is the consistancy of water, similarities end there, the stuff has an odor you wouldn't believe, anyway) along the seam between pieces and the glue is sucked in due to capillary action. and yes, there were one or two spots where i dribbled a bit, but the glue is clear so you only see a slight ripple in the lexan. so as far as supports go, nope, the box supported itself while it was being glued. and lastly, i'm estimating (pretty closely) the overall cost partswise to be around $650, which doesn't include lots of little random nuts & bolts type things. the lexan alone accounted for a little over $100 of the overall cost, not cheap.
Zogthetroll is offline   Reply With Quote