View Single Post
Unread 02-25-2003, 05:23 PM   #13
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

>Now THAT looks cool!!!! I must say that that is an excellent
>package; did you come up with that?

I saw it done in a site somewhere, cant take the credit for it. The AT psu had a particularity that made this alot , and let me say it again, ALOT easier. The shottky power diodes ( pair one , and the other power diode pair) were laying pressed against de psu casing, in the bottom thus reversed soldered, and using the casing to dissipate the heat. So i didnt have to cut anything. It fitted right into that old cdrom drive, a Dysan (the crappiest i've seen, and i bought two at the time, grunf), and are using the same principle there. Because its a test psu, and doesnt remain on for alot of time, it doesnt really get that hot. If it was supposed to be 24/7, i'd have to put in a couple of fans for active cooling (witch i tried on another occasion, and works fine) .

>(Back to the immediate reality)
>Well, I have done some thinking and am now wondering IF there
>is some sort of voltage adjustment "knob" inside the PSU that I
>can use to give the 5V line a little nudge. I opened up a POS
>Sparkle PSU that I had laying around the house last night and
>found (2) pots inside. Have no idea what they do....

Cant really help you there without getting the proper schematic. But there is a couple of potentiometers to regulate the 12v and 5v rails at least, and those are probably it. Dont mess around with them without a schematic ... or an extra psu.

If your case can take 2 psu's, you can always get a cheap one to power at least the cdroms or the hard drives.

http://www.tweakshop.nl/n/prod/psu/psu.htm

For what i've seen here, you've got plenty of juice in the 3.3 and 5 rails.