View Single Post
Unread 12-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Need a Guardian OS or Snap OS software update?

With 68 views and no comments directed to me, I guess this closes my interest on the subject at this time. That's cool.

So here's the deal:

Overland may or may not offer a software only maintenance contract for your snap server.

For the 4400 I bought from Pheonix32, they do.

So the days of Adaptec charging $600 are over. This is nice when you consider many of us are using hardware that is no longer supported.

A search I did on Google showed pricing on a few websites. Check it out.

I found to get a software only contract it required an email to Overland and a full day of justifying why I didn't buy the device from the original owner that they had listed. Then another day of getting a price. Add in another half day of getting a local supplier because the fine print said that was the first choice.

The local supplier beat the price. My final cost for a true upgrade course for version 5 is $180 for the year.

If there was interest I was trying to field a list of questions to set up a process where each step and each hardware config was listed out.

Due to no interest, I'm asking the supplier to stop working on the list. I'm not going to ask someone work on a process that won't be worth the time for their efforts.

I'm happy because I have access to GOS v5 updates and I consider the cost to be reasonable even if still a bit high. But at least it's not over $600 a year. Best of luck to all who want to stay updated with a solution that keeps the company in business.

As to Snap OS questions and cost? That was on the list. No idea what different hardware may cost on GOS or what is going on with Snap OS at this time. I got an update for free from Adaptec but that took a bit of back and forth too. I was that "member" who argued with sales about having to pay for a software package that wasn't supported in order to run a piece of hardware that wasn't supported didn't make much sense as a customer. I would use that memory when considering new hardware from them in the future. Perhaps that argument still holds with Overland...
otoc is offline   Reply With Quote