View Single Post
Unread 07-21-2004, 07:45 PM   #257
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtalizing
Cathar how is the block coming? Have you started talking to resellers yet?
No. Still waiting on the tweaked block so I can make my final decision. I am now very confident in my own results of the G4 vs the Cascade SS, after relapping both blocks after they came back from review. Both the G4 and the SS had degraded from numerous remounts, with the SS and its soft silver being particularly affected. Upon close inspection I could almost make out a few core imprints left by myself and Phaestus in the soft silver. A careful relapping with 2000-grit paper cleaned it up and it picked up performance (a small amount). The block would have been through, perhaps 30 mountings since the last time it was lapped.

The Storm/G4, with its harder copper, wasn't as bad, but it had been through perhaps 40-50 remounts by the time I decided to lap it again.

Arctic Ceramique has been good to use as a thermal paste - with noticably less (if even noticable at all) curing variance, and so I've been able to build up a stronger level of confidence in my results. With my old thermal paste I was seeing 1-2C drops after a few thermal cycles which made it hard to guage what was going on, whereas with the Ceramique what I see on the first mount doesn't change in any detectable way even after 3-4 thermal cycles. The Ceramique starts out better than the Silver 5, but the Silver 5 over time cures to be ~0.5C better than it.

So I'm very confident that given the same pumping characteristics (i.e. any given fixed pump from an Eheim 1046 up to an Iwaki MD40-RZ) that the Storm/G4 is a stronger performer than even the re-lapped SS.

Once I get the tweaked version back, hopefully this week, I can put the two Storm blocks head-to-head, gather a clean-water base-line, add glycol (although I don't believe now that this is a significant issue), and make a choice, and then start down the road to ramping up.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote