View Single Post
Unread 02-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #67
lloydrmc
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: watercooling lost its magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel
I just made an attempt in an LC17 from silverstone. Unfortunately, the pump was just too loud (DDC 18v version), even when enclosed in a metal box filled with foam and undervolted. A lot of compromises end up getting made, but it can be done. I just wasn't willing to put up with the noise.

For reference, it was a TDX, MAZE 4 GPU, Black Ice Pro II and DDC, all with tygon 3/8in. I'm pissed off that it failed, as now I've got all this WC gear and nothing to do with it.
Interesting that the editorial should mention the Arctic 64 Pro, because that is the HSF that has pretty much driven me to water cooling. I guess, despite my efforts to the contrary, I've managed to purchase a case with bad airflow and/or ruin the airflow, and the 64 Pro hasn't helped. In fact, when I put the side cover on the case, my poor Opty 170 overheats in less than two minutes.

I'm sick of fooling with fans and sick of the noise. I'm coming up with a quiet system, I'm putting water blocks on EVERYTHING (including replacing the heatsinks on the PWMs which currently have small, noisy, OEM fans on them), and I'm NOT going to spend anything in the same zip code as $180, even if that means I have to fab every last water block myself.

And, no, I'm not going to suck it up and pay some exhorbitant amount on relabeled fountain pumps (and blow my budget) - I have a line on a surplus place that has the real deal for a good price.

Maybe this stuff is old hat to you guys because you've done it so many times before. I want a my bigger OC out of my Opty to process BOINC work units faster, and I want it to be done quietly.

You know, that's the "killer app" as far as I'm concerned - your CPU is at essentially 100% load essentially 100% of the time, and if you don't think that taxes your cooling, then think again. Especially if you run an Opty like I do.

I am frankly underwhelmed by most of what I've seen on the retail market - there seems to be a lot of "we have a big reputation and our product has a cool name, so pay $150 for this radiator that's not demonstrably better than a $30 heater core"

Now, I most notably exclude a new product that I'm aware of that was engineered in large part with input and discussions from some very knowledgable people right here on this board - such product designed to work with the kind of fans we use, not some noisy squirrel-cage blower whirring away under the dashboard of a Chevette or whatever. I would consider spending the money on one of those radiators, because it really is such, and has demonstrable performance commensurate with the asking price.
lloydrmc is offline   Reply With Quote