View Single Post
Unread 07-07-2004, 12:42 AM   #247
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by j813
Stew
Do you use an Inline Filter?
What do you use or what are the preferred types?
Thank you
I have an in-line filter here in my test setup, but only because I accidentally sprayed paint into one of my radiators and it often releases globs of paint into the system. Otherwise I filter all my water and using clean containers I add it into the loop, and never have a problem with lint. The filter catches the paint particles.

My inline-filter is a "barrel and basket" micro-irrigation filter which I picked up for US$3 from a local hardware store. It's the one on the right in the below picture:

It is very low flow restriction, offering less resistance than one of my heater-cores. It has a removable "basket" inside that has literally thousands and thousands of ~0.1mm diameter pin-holes in it. It's big and ugly, but it's free flowing and dirt cheap. There'd probably be a good market for something that was 1/3rd the size for computer cooling use with micro-structured/jetted blocks.

My other closed-loop Cascade-based system that I leave running all the time (my P4 work system) doesn't have any inline-filters installed and it's never had any problems because the water was pre-filtered when I added it. I pull it apart every 3 months or so just to check, and it's always been fine.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote