View Single Post
Unread 08-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Zavyre
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Introduction & A Few Questions

Yeah doubtful on the bad memory as it would hag and generally misbehave which it's not. Possibility of a bad drive is there, as I did not check each individually before making the raid.

Thought about it but was a bit pressured for time. I did check the one that had the unknown size issue with and it passed OK in separate system (it's #4).

I know of no way to check the drives integrity in while in a raid so I guess I need to move all the info back off the server and take drives 1-3 out. Check each drive individually then put them back in and boot it up. Shut it back down and and then remove and check the #4 and check it again. Correct?

Grrr this is just going to be a pain.

As for the 10/100's on the network; it's quite possible that there are still some here but not on my switch. And my old 4100 is a 10/100 and I don't think it ever really messed with the switches. I have a Dell PowerConnect 2824 going out to a fiber switch which I think goes straight to the main server room. After that I'd have to ask the IT guy here (who is never around lol) but there is a fair amount of antiquated equipment still in use in other parts of the complex.

Think I'm just going to take it home tonight and test it on a simple switch and see what happens. Here's hoping that it's not a switch problem as I can't fix that.

I'll order (2) 1GB PC2100 DDR 266MHz ECC Registered DIMMs Monday as that should be more than sufficient for this unit. And yes I'm going to run just the 2 new sticks as I too have noticed that some servers have odd issues with mixed sizes of ecc ram.

Last edited by Zavyre; 08-18-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: RAM Link
Zavyre is offline   Reply With Quote