View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
kinghong1970
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Taking the plunge into watercooling...

It’s Aliiiiiiive!

The parts are as follows:
Asus Stryker Extreme
Intel Core2 Extreme QX6700 or was it the 6800?
4GB Corsair something…
I re-used his old HDDs, Video and Case.

As for the watercooling kit (being an utter noobie), I got the Swiftech kit with the 3/8” ID tubing and a single radiator with 120mm fan.

When I received the kit, I realized that the case is not the best size. First of all, I did purchase a updated PSU but the case is too small for it. And also, I had to remove one of the 2 HDD cages in order to sqeeze in a radiator, fan, pump assembly.

I got the radiator to mount but the only way I was able to do this was by making the radiator barbs come out on the side, not top or bottom…. I wonder if this is ok…

Some of the difficulties I had was the Sata cables. The ones that came with the MB are too short and so I could not hide them behind the MB tray. (for my baby, I got longer ones on order so I can go crazy with the drill and knock-out tool… )

The tube routing is according to what the instructions says…
CPU out --> RES in --> RES out --> PUMP in --> PUMP out --> RAD in (upper barb)--> RAD out (lower barb) --> CPU in
Wonder if this is done right?

I purchased a flow meter and some other gadgets but I did not have much room to put it in so eh…
Well, after numerous drilling, assembly, disassembly, drilling, etc etc etc… I got the thing put together, tested it, and runs…

Only problem I have now is that I wanted to have red blood flowing through the computer…. I bought red coolant…
(yea yea, I know, distilled water and hydrix works fine, right? Well, I went for the colored look…)
But after putting in the dye, instead of red blood, I got watermelon Koolaid because when you look thru 3/8” of liquid, you loose the deep red look…

Well, I guess my bro has to be happy with his Watermelon-Koolaid-Cooled machine…
Got my parts on order now… will post my stuff as soon as I get it made.

some additional pics...

pump area... i think i lucked out... the case had so many holes on it that i did not have to drill to fix the pump to the bottom of my case...

tried cleaning up the back area and re-routing all the cables... i need to drill more holes and now i got my Knock-out too so }

btw, God Bless the man who created plastic ties... Love Em!

the back side of the Stryker Extreme...

looks cool... but honestly... eh...
i like the EL lighting and the LCD but i am not going to be looking at it all the time...

i am going to WC my AMD system for now and not spend money on the Core2Extreme for the time being...

comments? crit? suggestions?

and thank you very much for all your advices and hints...
kinghong1970 is offline   Reply With Quote