View Single Post
Unread 06-25-2005, 09:59 PM   #117
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Part IV: Hybrid System 4-way splitter, part 1.

With me taking the direction I decided to go, which is a hybrid system with a

Storm/G5 waterblock at the core (requires high flow)... I couldn't use the small-bore stuff without

causing a lot of pressure drop. The solution: 4 parallel loops split off after the CPU,

with the knowledge that each sub-loop is roughly equally restrictive, and flow balance

shouldn't be much of an issue (and I have a solution if it is) And how would I know about

flow imbalance? You'd have to ask

Zittware about that. On to the

show!

This unassuming, freshly cut (by bloody hacksaw, thank you - see DCLXVI above) and freshly

sanded on the belt sander with 220 grit to true up the edges, will serve as a splitter.

1/2" tubing in, 4x6mm ID tubing (Plug and cool for you AC folks) out. Once again, thanks to

Dr. Fibbles for hooking me up with the fittings.

The bit used to pilot the plug-and-cool holes.

judging out the spacing a bit...

The block drilled out, 1/2" in the top, 4x1/2 (for G1/4 thread) for the plug and cools (aka

instant tube fittings)

Threading the end with 1/4 NPT. The key here is to go in a bit, then back out to clear the

tap's teeth of debris. All in all it took me half an hour to get the NPT tap in. the taper

is what makes it a bitch, it keeps getting tighter and there for harder to turn the tap as

you go in. But, my ratchet with a 5/16" socket holding the tap did the trick.

And w\ fitting (stolen off my maze 4 waterblock, hehe!)

Same thing, but G1/4 thread this time... aka BSPP. Much, much thanks to scopEDog for

splitting an order of these.

Rigged for the old blow-hard test - passed with flying colors, no leaks.

And partially polished - just the end (it was 12:02 last night, had to stop, esp since I had

network gear swap to do at 8AM the next morning -- You ever think you could get $180K of

gear into a $2000 car? you can.)

That's it for now. The splitter needs to be polished, the pump mount finished, parts and

tubing ordered from www.mcmaster.com. I can't wait to unleash the Storm!
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote