View Single Post
Unread 03-31-2003, 01:50 PM   #88
Graystar

Quote:
Originally posted by winewood
Try using the program Cpu Burn-in. With processors using cached routines, you need a program that uses most of the instruction sets to generate the heat of a 100% cpu load. Try it out and see.
Thanks for the tip. I download it and tried it but my results were not as expected.

First, this appears to be a single processor application. I *was* able to start two instances, and both my processors were at 100%. However, I don't know of this is okay. Only the developer will know.

Anyways, after 20 minutes of this app running, my temperature dropped by 1C. In my own strange way, this makes sense to me. When FAH starts up, you see it consume about 2 megs for the console and about 5 meg of RAM for the core. However, the system memory usage increase by 65MB! I believe that there is a *tremendous* amount of I/O being performed by FAH. As we know, I/O occurs at twice the voltage of core processing.

Well, that's my dime-store analysis. In any case, the bottom line is that this program did not increase my CPU temperature at all. But it's also very likely that the dual processors had something to do with it.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote