View Single Post
Unread 03-31-2003, 04:05 PM   #99
Cova
Cooling Savant

Argh - lost my first almost complete post due to my mouse having a "back" button that I always misclick. Anyways - here's the condensed version of the original post.

If you look at waterblocks from a different point of view, you see that copper is actually insulating your cpu from the water. So - you want as little copper as you can get (thin baseplate) between them, with only the bare-minimum required for strength/mounting/etc. and enough surface area to get all the heat that the copper aborbs from the CPU into the water.

I think the block could be improved by adding more surface area on the base, which would also have the side effect of increasing turbulence - though I would predict that the boundary layer in such a thin channel is already very small, and that the turbulence from the 90 degree bend and narrow opening where the water enters the block may already be enough to disturb that layer.

I'd like to see it with some channels etched into the bottom running parallel to the flow. If you can do them deep enough with a knife, perhaps even tiny fins bent-up from the bottom (still parallel) as in a skivved-fin HS.
Cova is offline   Reply With Quote