View Single Post
Unread 10-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
ibmkg
Cooling Savant

Re: Cutting Oil as a coolant

Yes . It is submerged. I have made a reservoir and have submerged it about 80% leaving the terminals, main water discharge and overflow hole out.

The pump function is very basic. It has an armature made from iron which has cuts (groves) making it like an impeller. A plastic followed by a magnet surrounds it. The upper part is in contact with carbon terminals. Moreover, these terminals will be in contact with the liquid during operation.

The main water discharge is from the top; the size of the hole is about 8mm. Water comes out with very low flow rate from an additional hole. I think that is the 'overflow'.

Water is suck from a hole (8mm) at the bottom of the pump. Pump has additional two very small holes at the bottom, which discharge the water with high pressure. I think these two holes help circulate/mix the fuel.

The pump has a pressure of 2 to 3 bars, 150 GPH when petrol is used. Pump size is, 52mm dia with 100mm length. Pump is sealed pretty well and I have to cut it using a saw to reveal the goodies inside.

Result with coolant:

I used an ordinary engine coolant (5-10%) and tap water for the job. Two problems arose:

1) After continues 20 hours of use, I could see some black residue surrounding the pump on the area, which is submerged in the coolant. I think it was the wear and tear of carbon terminals.

2) After 24 hours of continuous use, the pump gets jammed and thus the +ve terminal burns out.

Result with Cutting Oil:

Even after continuous 48 hours of use, the pump works like new. No residue formation is seen. The pump is clean and shines as new.

The drawback so far with the cutting oil is that the mixture is dense thus lower flow is observed as compared to water-coolant. Other thing that worries me is that I do not know the heat absorption properties of cutting oil.

In addition, I have heard that cutting oil (low quality ones) get expired. I do not know what will happen when it does get expire.

I am resuming the experiment today using the Water: Cutting Oil ratio 4:1.

I am waiting for comments.

Last edited by ibmkg; 10-15-2006 at 08:19 AM.
ibmkg is offline   Reply With Quote