View Single Post
Unread 11-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
ibmkg
Cooling Savant

Re: Cutting Oil as a coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
You've got galvanic corrosion, big time.

Probably red from the Iron, and blue from the copper, hence the brown color.

Copper and brass can get along very nicely, but the iron is throwing everything off. No filter will fix this.

I have yet to read about good solutions to prevent galvanic corrosion, and while the idea of grounding everything seems to make sense, it isn't a foolproof solution either. There are electronic solutions to this, but also just as many claims of scams on those units.

If you removed the iron elements, and use a mag drive pump that has a plastic impeller housing, you'd be back on track. If you were local to me, I'd gladly lend you my LGPC 2-MDQ pump.

Yes, bigben2k you are right (I have been told the same thing by someone else too).Pump is made from iron and steel so that means I have to drop the whole idea, which is not an option at this time.

One important factor I have noticed is that there is a 100V AC (strangely) in the whole rig when compared to ground. I can ground it to drop the potential to zero.
Plus, I think using some synthetic less reactive cutting oil might do the job. Please share your ideas regarding this.

Thanks for the offer but my aim is to make a WC system, which is cost effective, easy to make, made from junk (recycling) and extremely easy to homebrew. The whole thing should not exceed USD40.

If infact there is no alternate to the whole thing, I have another idea of using pumps found in 'washing machine'. It uses plastic impeller and might have the edge one needs. The only thing is that it will require AC voltage and I might have to mess with a relay.
ibmkg is offline   Reply With Quote