View Single Post
Unread 12-24-2006, 06:56 AM   #21
ibmkg
Cooling Savant

Re: Cutting Oil as a coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie b
Right then, I have been a precision engineer for 12 years and have worked with all kinds of oil/water emulsions ..........
cheers chris.

Oh and the best manufacturer i have come across is (Rocol synthetic cutting fluid.)

Good luck m8
Finally, got the attention of an engineer who played with cutting oil . I do not know how to start as you have reported such cons which suggests a total refutation of cutting oil thing.

Please, if there is an alternative to this, let me know (alternative to liquid only, the fuel pump is the best ‘water pump’. I will explain that in my new post (Swiftech MCP655 vs Fuel Pump). Nevertheless, here is what I have been upto:

I got Synthetic cutting oil sample from Gulf Oils (Gulfcut Soluble CB-2). Its got amber color, which becomes very light when mixed with water. The specs are attached (doc file).

Please go through it and let me know its potential. The merchant did tell me that it would not need attention for even a year. And that it is soluble to a ratio of 64.

For the discoloration, it could be one of two reasons since pipes are in its original condition.

Reasons:

Galvanic Corrosion (due to a variety of metals involved) plus I noticed green layer formed outside of the brass reservoir. (Solution: Changed the reservoir made from brass to plexi, cast acrylic transparent sheet)

Reaction with the solder I used to seal off barbs and holes in WB also Ts. Since they got leaked and I know it wasn’t cold solder. I re-soldered this time used lot of heat, quality flux and solder wire, it never got leaked again. (Still am going to braze it)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the merchant said that this very synthetic oil is non reactive (I explained him the metals and plastics involved and my past experience with low quality oil).

And, I used some of this sythetic cutting oil with ratio of 1:30 (cutting oil: water). I had placed this in a plastic soda bottle, which is sometimes in direct contact with sunlight. It smells the same and no discoloration or separation is observed. If you want, I can supply pics. It has been a month now.

Merchant did say it has some antibacterial thing in it. (If not, I would have introduced something my self).

Health issue, yeah that is something NOW what worries me. I know how that low quality oil tastes like...... (like diesel, else somewhat tasteless)

Charls, thank you very much for replying. Do not disappoint me by keeping me waiting.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Gulfcut SOLUBLE CB-2.doc (30.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by ibmkg; 12-25-2006 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Made it more readable
ibmkg is offline   Reply With Quote