View Single Post
Unread 05-27-2004, 02:24 PM   #40
Jabo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
that design is poor because there is too many places for the water to go where its not cooling...it should have a clearcut path where it enters, cools, and leaves. it shouldnt hang around at all.
D00de! that's the whole point of this design, coolant DOES NOT 'hang around' , it 'hangs around' more in Cathar's blocks than in this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
not upset, a reviewer can do as they wish (cut your hand, eh ?)
not interested in adding fuel to the fire, but Jabo is closest - but incomplete
I did not want to elaborate here too much. All is needed here is a simple visualisation (ran in your mind's eye) of movements of 6 coolant particles placed eqaully around inlets perimeter (pretend there are only 6 of them in total and analyze interactions with block's walls&pins taking into consideration velocity, inertia and pressure gradients - hint=velocity is highest along the straight line connecting edges of crescent and inlet tube=end of hint).

Les-> why do you assume that calling Poiseuille's Law equals thinking laminar flow? Re number increases with coolants velocity, right? Pins/crescent by producing an obstacle create localized regions of high velocity (think about high rise buildings and windy day) increasing Re number and thinning down boundary layer.
Geometry of Swiffy's block enhances 'verge velocity' of coolant.
Please, do not make me to go into more detail, I'd bore myself to death doing so

Flow control=equalization of coolants velocity=>more coolants particles participate in thermal exchange = much better efficiency and performance allowing this block to come close to jet type designs.

Teaser-> what about a design having impingement velocity flow at every point of water-copper contact over the whole footprint of a block's base? Wouldn't that be just fantastic?
Impingement designs base on velocity since it was devised to achieve max cooling density per mm^2. Now, without using nuclear reactor size coolant pumps how would you do it in PC water block design using DIY methods (dead cheap solution in watts/£ ratio)?

P.S. That's why I asked you BillA about your R&D, costs and why such design and not 'something new'