View Single Post
Unread 07-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
RichieGP
Cooling Neophyte

Default MCW 452 chiller build

Hi there,

I have bought a swiftech MCW452 chiller to stand at the centre of my cooling setup and i was wondering if you could help me with some power issues.

Current system:
Asus AN8 32SLI deluxe
AMD X2 4800+ CPU
2GB Corsair 3500LL pro RAM
2 X raptor 74GB HD
1 x Samsung Spinpoint 250GB HD
2 x XFX 7800GTX 512mb XXX GPU's in SLI
Dell 30" screen

Case:
Silverstone Temjin TJ07

PSU:
2 x Seasonic S12 600W PSU

Cooling:

Hot loop
MCW 452 chiller - single loop including both hot sides and 2 x radiators
Water pumped by laing DDC pump with integral reservoir
2 x Alphacool NexXxoS Xtreme II radiators in series (ie 240mm rads x 2)
10mm tubing

Cold loop:
2 x alphacool nexus GPU coolers for 7800's
Swiftech apogee CPU block
10mm tubing (insulated)
XSPC X2O Pump with integral reservoir

One PSU powers the computer components and one PSU powers the chiller. Seasonic claims +12V1: 18A / +12V2: 18A on its dual rails so attaching the pelts to the PSU should be ok, should it not? Swiftech claims they need 12V and 17a supply. I have cut off the molex connectors and attached the pelts using connectors that are rated to 20a each, to prevent melting of the molex

However, I am only getting CPU temps of 31-39c and GPU temps of 31c at all times (i think this is a problem with nvidia bios which i will sort out later). Even so, these are still higher than i would expect from a chiller with >400W cooling capacity and in reviews that i have read, some people have got sub-zero temps.

I was wondering if the problem lay with my power supply. Does anyone have any experience with this chiller and powering it? Can anyone recommend an alternative PSU for use with the chiller? Most meanwells are only single output so i was wondering what would work to power both pelts?

Are there any other reasons anyone can think of for such poor temps (almost ambient). I know the 10mm tubing may not be adequate for the hotside loop and that i should probably run each hot side block in parallel with its own rad.

thanks for your help in advance
RichieGP is offline   Reply With Quote