View Single Post
Unread 01-27-2004, 10:39 PM   #333
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanx
Sorry if I seem a pain the arse but, if the rads you're using, car rad and all are having such a hard time with the heat why is everyone so focused on pumps?
Why? Because the actual physical pumping work being done by the Iwaki MD30-RZ that I use is around 10W. The pump motor is sucking down around 60W to do that (even though it's rated at 80W, it does draw less), and the impeller shaft output is probably around 35W or so.

i.e. Given a 100% efficient pump, its possible to get Iwaki MD30-RZ performance for just 10W.

Clearly that's not going to happen any time, but it shows the scale of the vast amount of inefficiency that even a highly respected pump has in converting electrical energy into actual pumping power.

So basically the hunt continues for a pump that closes that inefficiency gap. A pump that will run pretty much every block and heater-core sized radiator that crosses its path well into the region of diminishing returns for either, but only dissipating as much heat as a pump that runs the same block/radiator at moderate efficiency points.

Heater-cores perform better with higher flow-rates. Blocks perform better with higher flow-rates. Given that CPU's when pushed really hard can dump up to a real 140W of heat into a loop, a very efficient pump can allow someone to use a decent heater-core and a good block, and what was once considered "diminishing returns" may now mean up to a 3C difference to CPU temperatures if the pump isn't becoming a significant source of added heat in its own right.

For example, it takes about 14W of real work to push 3GPM through a Cascade plus a good heater-core. I dream of a pump that would draw just 35W, add just 25W of that as heat to the water, and deliver that flow rate.

I see that blocks and heater-cores have come almost as far as is practical to take them. Very few gains here left. The two areas that I see the most potential for gain are pumps and thermal-pastes.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote