View Single Post
Unread 07-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #221
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelyuen
thats the radiator german ppl use
the one on the right is as thick as the thermal chill 120
It's also a highly restrictive continuous tubed radiator. If that's the radiator that "most" German people use, then why is that not part of the test suite?

The Black Ice Xtreme II radiators that Pug included were made primarily for the US high-flow style market. They are a low flow restriction radiator.

Still, fine, even if we kept the radiators the same, the pump that is included does not typify a quiet low-wattage low-head low-flow pump that most people associate with German systems. When over-volted above 12V like Pug is proposing, it is powerful enough in terms of its delivery pressure head to ram more flow rate through an 8mm ID tubing push-fit setup, than the Swiftech MCP600 could probably achieve through a 1/2" barbed setup.

Herein is the rub. Pug's setup consists of a powerful pump that is designed to fight any restrictions in the setup. It is not "elegant" in the way that typifies most German systems, which is a small low-power low-pressure pump not particularly stressed about pushing low flow rates through thin tubing.

Crap, I'd use that pump if I could. I think many US people would be more than happy to use that pump. When over-volted as planned, it'd be more powerful than a Danner Mag 3, or a Laing D4.

Back to the radiator though, it's primarily a very popular US-market radiator.

So basically the setup is one whose pump is strong enough to make most US setups envious, a radiator that is essentially one of the better US-style radiators on the market (in terms of performance), a tubing setup that on the whole is not a great deal more restrictive than various US setups, and one of the highest performing German-derived blocks as perhaps the only "consolation", which I might add is made using pin-fin and impingement concepts that have been pushed hard in the USA for a while now.

It is a USA setup for all intents and purposes. It's a setup that most people in the USA would look at, and see that it's setup in a way in which they can understand as to how it would perform well.

It's a long, long way away from the not-so-humble beginnings of this thread that pleaded a case for, and I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightic
a European (specifically German ie. 1/4-3/8" ID fittings, multipass tube radiators, small/quiet pumps) set-ups in comparision with more modern, 'extreme' ones (ie. 1/2"+ ID fittings, heatercores, powerful pumps - for brevity I'll herein refer to this as the "US-type").
Of the points raised by nightic, the kit assembled by Pug fits well and truly in the US-style he described, with the only exception being the barbs/tubing size, and even then, not a particularly big exception.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote