View Single Post
Unread 03-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #185
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
"34dba isn't a loud fan"
to you; that is YOUR value judgement
(you would do well to not post such in discussions about silence)

34db(A) has nothing to do with what Cathar and I were discussing

slicey
words are cheap and whiskey costs money
what are the outside dimensions of your box ?
how many watts you dumping ?
what's the noise level (1m from box all 4 sides) ?
how many fans, and of what model ?
where is the pump ?

I do not doubt it can be done,
I do question how large it would have to be to be sub-audible

NOTE that I also posted that for further reduction of noise the fan could also be undervolted Bill. And if undervolted to 6v I suspect it would be a good deal lower in noise, while still having higher performance on tap in a instant by just turning up a reobus. And YES it is MY value that anything that can be undervolted & is 35dba or less when @ 12v, is a good option for noise control, most of all if it also offers higher pressure.

This is a open forum, if you want a private conversation with Cathar please do, via e-mail or PM's. Other than those anyone is free to offer whatever THEY feel meets the needs/values they have for low noise/quiet.

And regardless of if Slicey can full fill YOUR demands Bill for dba readings that you yourself have a disclaimer for in Swiftech's adds or when you provide background infor in reviews, I'd like to hear more from him in those areas of lower noise/noise control via the suggested methods he posted about. And the questions you want answers to are really rather meaningless unless he also tested and messured all those same components in a open setting, or in case setting as well, but then you know this. And if he was collecting all that data I expect he'd be posting a article.

Lowering noise levels while maintaining full performance is of interest, puters that you can't tell if they are on arn't, they are just "net ego" in a new form.

As was mentioned by someone earlier, PSU noise levels get in the way of real silence, as unless you wish to spend a couple hundered on a NO noise & lower performance PSU, you'll not be buying such a PSU.

Last edited by Blackeagle; 03-30-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote