View Single Post
Unread 03-28-2005, 08:19 PM   #191
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxSaleen
I have a problem with this statement. I have a Tagan PSU in one of my PCs and cannot sing enough praise about it. It is VERY quiet; inaudible from a distance greater than 1'. It also performs very well. To say that having a high performing PSU with a low noise signature is impossible is to not have complete knowledge of the market. Think about it this way: the Tagan PSU with a 280w load (an acceptable load for a high end PC) will be about 70% efficient. Let's say that the PSU has a heat dump of 50w. This is distributed evenly over a large heatsink. By just guestimating, one can see that 15-20cfm of airflow is more than adequate to keep the PSU cool.

I have to agree, though, that an external solution would be much more efficient. It would also be much simpler for the end user. OEMs, however, seem to be weary of external solutions. The few that have been used (Voodoo/swiftech, falconnw/unknown, velocity micro/in house) have all been internal solutions.

Have no problem with LOW noise designs, and they have improved a lot.

Tagan and other low noise PSU can and do make good choices for a high end overclocked rig. There are in fact a pretty nice selection of units with 120mm fans for low noise now out. I've a SuperFlower 550w unit with a 140mm fan, much lower noise than my PCP&C 510, but has more droop on the 12v rail.

But I've yet to see a high end overclocked rig making use of a fanless PSU. It may well be that most overclockers want 500+watt units as the major reason for this. But until I see one used in such a system for a extended time frame I'd not use a fanless unit.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote