View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #53
feathers
Cooling Neophyte

"Bill is THE pioneer of testing. Dismiss him all you want, but he's more than qualified to talk about what he does." - Well if he ever finds the 'right stuff' to talk about what it is he does, then I might be inclined to listen. If all he does however - is make judgements and assumptions then he will be wasting his time with me. I don't care how many disciples jump to his defense.. If the man is really that smart then I might also expect him not to write someone off in such a pompous way. Bottom line is that he doesn't know the amount of testing that's been done here. We've been selling these things for several years and never had a single one returned due to 'poor performance'. We've had nothing but positive comments from customers.

Now I fully accept that things are changing rapidly and that the 130W has had it's day as far as cooling goes for the latest designs. We already knew this anyhow.. It's just that we are still in the process of completing the website and also acquiring a new range of stock.

Would I be able to maintain a TEC's temperature at a set value? If I put my mind to it, yes. I have a workshop full of electronic components, testing gear, design books, PIC programming tools along with a number of years experience with digital and analog circuit design. Perhaps we will offer a system which maintain's the TEC's temp at ambient for some customers or one which keeps the temp at zero. I don't know at this stage, but there are plenty of options.

I have been more than ready to accept criticism or advice from people on this forum. I draw the line however, at miserable sh*ts (and this isn't aimed solely at Bill) who stand in line to jump on someone for entertainment.

So, I'm wrong about Bill, am I? Well perhaps he's wrong about me too..

I want to see if he is capable of positive output as well as negative?

EDIT:

"note that having experienced competent engineers as customers permits the effective utilization of devices that are 'too complicated' for the typical DIY market
(did I say that gently enough ?)" - So you're saying the average joe is too dumb to use a Swiftech MCX4000-T without frying his CPU?

EDIT-2:

"for starters, look here at some TEC devices
the MCX4000-Tâ„¢ is listed on the front page dropdown" - I looked and I have seen it before. I actually have a Swiftech MCX4000 which is essentially the same as the 'T' but without the peltier+coldplate. As heatsinks go it's very nice but your advertising suggests an 80CFM to cool it. I happen to know from experience that an 80CFM fan to cool even a 130W peltier yields poor results. I wonder how it is then that your ad can recommend an 80CFM fan (not very powerful) for a 226W peltier?

Your most recent comment about the MCX4000-T being 'too complicated' for chimps probably serves to illustrate my point better. We have some customers who use the 130W cooled by Thermalright SLK heatsink with dual coldplate (mod). The reported temps are pretty similar to that displayed in your MCX462-T's chart. Since the customer in question is using a 130W pelt then I'm just wondering how it is that your 226 pelt is able to deliver the same temps with a fan which is absolutely and utterly inadequate? We know from experience that a heatsink such as the 462-T or MCX4000-T can only perform satisfactorily with the addition of a custom air-delivery system! Is this what you delicately refer to in your 'too complicated for DIY market' ?

Are you going to insist that the MCX4000-T with 226W pelt cooled by an 80CFM fan can perform satisfactorily?

Last edited by feathers; 03-16-2004 at 11:22 AM.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote