View Single Post
Unread 12-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Default Re: Die Simulator vs. CPU Article Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmat
Isn't the IHS irrelevant anyway ? Who wants to keep this thing in the thermal path.
Look, removing the IHS from a 775 Intel is nearly impossible... that is the bad. The good is, it is a non issue since it is not removeable and the IHS > Core TIM is much more consistant than the AMD's. I have a feeling that AMD will move to soldering the IHS to the core as Intel has done. AMD seems to be about 2-3 years behind in the IHS dept. Trust me if it were as easy to remove as the Northwoods and AMD's mine would be gone.

Note to the 2 thermal diodes agument; I don't see what the fuss is all about really. One diode is for the user to monitor, yes it is in a 'cooler' spot on the core, but an internal reading none the less. The other unreadable diode is only for throttling and thermal shutdown / protection, we ought to consider this diode dead unless it can be read somehow. I am confident (yeah no 'real' proof here) that reading the diode we can read in the P4's would show various WB performance MUCH better than with an AMD and the IHS. If anyone has a block that will fit 775 that they want to loan me that is arguably worse than the G5, I'll be happy to slap it in and record the differences with the basic tools that I've got.

Perhaps testing should move to tying into the P4 readable diode and using the 775 as the testbed for IHS based CPU's as for one, the TIM is far better and 2, it is not removeable. Leave the AMD for IHS-less tests.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote