View Single Post
Unread 10-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #219
IMOG
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
So, someone who doesn't know something is exactly the same as someone who knows something that happens to be wrong?
I would put forward that there's quite a difference - particularly if the person who's wrong is quite unwilling to even consider the fact that he/she is wrong.
BillA calls this "willful wrong-headedness" (good phrase - I like it)
Josh Billings says "it ain't what a man don't know that makes him a fool; it's the things he does know, that ain't so." (John Kenneth Galbraith often gets credited for this one as well).
This is probably my favorite quote - mostly because I work in software - and every 5 or 10 years, a lot of what I "know" becomes "ain't so" - so I have to say open to my being wrong about things I know are true.
Of course, I'm open to being wrong about this one, as well...

Another way to think of it is that the information on the forum is like water - only it's not gone if someone else drinks it. However - it can be poisoned...
Ah yes, a lesson in the straw man argument, always fun.

Exhibit A, The birth of the straw man:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobokoure
So, someone who doesn't know something is exactly the same as someone who knows something that happens to be wrong?
Note how the offender restates the supposed position, however it does not directly reflect the original sentiment. We can call this an attempt at lingual contorsion - one cannot win the point in hand, so he offers up this falsely constructed viewpoint and attempts to replace the original with it.

Exhibit B, It's alive, the straw man is ALIVE:

Quote:
I would put forward that there's quite a difference - particularly if the person who's wrong is quite unwilling to even consider the fact that he/she is wrong.
Note how he proceeds to drive his "rightness" home with a painfully obvious, true statement. Correct? Inarguably so. Pertaining to the original point which was expressed? Nope... But hopefully it was well enough disguised so that no one would notice this slight of hand.

Exhibit C, The straw man is no more, he hath been lit a fire and left for dead:

Refer to preceding statements by IMOG.

BobOkoure, I don't see what you are on about. It would appear that you didn't understand my point, then made up your own, and proceeded to believe that people disagreed with the obvious dull points you raised.
IMOG is offline   Reply With Quote