View Single Post
Unread 02-08-2002, 09:34 PM   #49
simon
Cooling Neophyte

OK, about the 16 year old thing, I was exagerating slightly but the point was it took me 5 minutes to work out how to put my computer together and I and all the people you are talking about are worried they will do something wrong so don't bother checking for themselves, but they all could.
For years big computer companies have been offering support to people so they don't have to do things for themselves, this is just to keep them paying inflated prices for new computers and parts from the Dells, and compaqs of the world.
Most peoples grandmas even given the info and reading would still know what to do.

Double size =double no. of transistors = double amount of work can be done.
Not every command has to go through every transistor, also the P4 new hyper transport whatever, it doubles the amount of info sent to the cpu so that if the cpu is underutilised then it will push extra commands through, if the cpu is busy it will push it through when it can, with something similar it could work which transistors to use.
It would be like having a dual cpu system but in one chip.

It would not increase size of chip as they would have to add other substances in that would cause extra problems of energy and heat transfer, the whole industry is based around getting as many transistors into a specific amount of space possible.
This is why chips of same type get faster as building quality becomes better, and they get more transistors into the same space.
simon is offline   Reply With Quote