View Single Post
Unread 08-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #16
Sin22
Cooling Neophyte

Seeing as how my name has suddenly appeared in this thread, along with the site I've recently started, guess I'll throw my 2 cents in.

A sub-forum would be an interesting way to go since there already is one for the wb designers out there, though how much traffic it would receive would be an issue. In a sense, building a waterblock is a lot easier than building a radiator, especially at home.

As for the whole cloning issue. I'm sure that our memories are not so short, or that we are so narrow-minded as to only target the chinese & chinese factories. Cathar ought to remember this, not two years back there were several lively discussions on OCAU with a particular manufacturer on certain series of blocks that had been released. Was he not Australian? (Lets not get into the ethnicity of the owner here). Or some of the other blocks released from many "reputable" watercooling companies.

It has been said that the highest form of flattery comes from imitation. People all over the net, at least informed people, having been lambasting a lot of the cooling companies like Evercool, Thermaltake and anyone else who has tried to enter watercooling and has failed miserably. Looking at Gigabyte's latest kit, it doesnt take a genius to notice its hugely similar to a Swiftech kit, and that obviously someone over there has started to notice this. In a sense, our overt criticiscm of their products has brought the current situation about too.

The whole open discussion concept was good whilst it lasted but was doomed once w/cing became more mainstream. Thats because it used to be a niche market in which only tech-heads ventured and really understood. Now, everyone wants a piece of the pie and there is money to be made, as such the once strong moral values and codes of conduct that upheld the little bit of integrity of the designers and those who frequented such forums is long gone, with everyone trying to make a quick buck.

Though personnaly, I dont feel all is lost. I may be a romantic, but still, things will change as they always do.

Do take care though and a big hello to some whom I've not spoken to in some time
Sin22 is offline   Reply With Quote