View Single Post
Unread 02-11-2004, 09:50 AM   #12
MMZ_TimeLord
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwag
Alright well im going to be tapping the plastic.
But i don't understand the sizing.
Like 6-32.
What does the 6 mean and what does the 32 mean?
I'll quote another article I found online about Taps here.

Quote:
Deciphering Thread Sizes

There are two threading systems in common use in this country: SAE (American) and ISO (metric).
SAE threads are described in the form (diameter)-(threads per inch)-for instance: 1/4-20 means that the bolt is 1/4-inch in diameter and has 20 threads per inch. Diameters smaller than 1/4-inch are specified by a number size. For example, #10-32 is a very common size; the "#10" is equivalent to 3/16-inch and there are 32 threads per inch.

Metric threads are specified in the form (diameter)-(millimeters per thread). For example, 5 mm-.8 means that the diameter of the bolt is 5 millimeters and that the threads are .8 millimeters apart. ISO metric threads are standardized to the extent that the thread pitch is not usually mentioned, unless it is non-standard for the diameter for example, 5mm-.8 is often just called 5mm, but if the thread pitch is other than .8, it would have to be specified. Likewise, 6 mm-l.0 is a standard ISO size, and could be referred to as "6 mm."

A few sizes are more or less interchangeable between the American and metric systems; particularly useful is #10-32/5 mm. These can generally be interchanged with no problem.
Hope that clears up a lot ...

Quote:
How would i make sure i get the right hose barbs?

Shwag

Edit: Let me re-phrase this.
How would i match the right tap with the right barb?
You simply match the size of the barb thread end and number of threads to the tap you are using. I usually do it the other way around... match the barb to the tap I need to use.

"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"
MMZ_TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote