Unread 07-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Davesworld
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznwizkid
Hey Harbinger,

I am also starting to work on a 4100 from reading the tons of post in
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...&threadid=1929
it seems as if most people can't get more then 137gb (ie they put in a 160gb and get 137gb only).

2nd, more ram only seems to help if you need to have more user access it at once (this is what i got from the forums) as for the dimms I not quite sure, I have some old ram around the house that I am going to try once my server gets here, and I will let you know if that works, my quess would be something in the pc100 sd-ram bin.

3rd, have not seen anyone post "tricks" to doing any of the upgraes such as ram and the 120 or 160gb drives.

4th, in the forum i linked above, around pages 20+ somewhere there is a link to a ftp site that one of the members runs that should have all the software you need.

Hopes this helps.
You can definitely put a 256b stick of ram but you need a low profile one. I have put various sticks in that I had laying around and they all worked. A standard 256mb stick is too tall for the cover, mine was standard but I had the cover off. As far as the 137GB limit, snap sells a replacement 160GB drive and sled and it comes with instructions. The only thing I could dig off the web is that you use the "reinit nocore" command in the debug section of the web gui. It looks as if everyone here just uses "reinit" with no other option. It also looks as though you have to upgrade to to an earlier version of os4 to get the bios update. The promise controllers are definitely capable of lba48 and so is os4.
Davesworld is offline   Reply With Quote