View Single Post
Unread 06-25-2004, 06:37 AM   #13
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Here we have the h(conv.coeff) relation with h(effective) problem
Yes, I couldn't agree more. It's something that I constantly find myself beating my head against. Whilst a very high conv. ceoff. may be very attractive, sometimes it doesn't produce the highest effective h, and I believe that the Cascade in comparison to a "classic" impingement block is a very good example of this.

The Cascade offers more "useful" surface area, and despite, to my best estimates, offering a convectional h of around 80% of that of a "classic" impingement effect, achieves more effective cooling.

Something I struggled long and hard with was the inter-cup geometry. Decreasing inter-cup spacing puts more cups into the same area, but now there is reduced vertical (and to some degree lateral) heat spread, and performance goes down. Put too much inter-cup spacing, and you manage to engage more of the cup walls as part of the cooling effect, but performance goes down because the spreading resistance goes up.

I tried hard to computationally model this effect based on emperical evidence, but was unable to achieve anything that I had any confidence in. Basically I found myself falling back to established measured good ratios. I found myself in that mode that Bill disdainfully describes as "measuring the data, and then assembling the theory to fit".

In the end I gave up, and just satisfied myself with approximated guesses as to h
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote