View Single Post
Unread 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Stupid
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Resync orphaned drives in RAID 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100 View Post
I really think what may had happen is if your MB is a rev 1 without the mod the extra capacity drive made the array unstable. Causing the failure. Apparently it tollerated 1 large dirve but the 2nd one took it over the edge.
I disagree. The (original) failure happened -before- I put in the second "large" drive. FWIW, I pulled the original 4x30G drives and replaced them with 80G drives the day I received the unit - over two years ago. I won't deny the possibility of the non-modded board being a potential pitfall, but I'm a not ready to light the torches and get out the pitchforks just yet.

I think what actually happened was that Drive 1 failed, but due to the goofy numbering scheme I accidentally pulled (and replaced) Drive 2 out of the array. So when I put the original drives back in, I ended up with a "cracked" RAID with two good drives and one failed drive that won't pass fsk and one good "orphan" drive that is no longer part of the array.

Whether or not the non-modded mainboard will support two 120G drives is kinda moot. As I understand it, Drive 1 is the one that determines the size of the array. If I replace Drive 1 with a new 120G but leave the current 80G Drives 2 and 4, I'm just asking for trouble.

Even if that wasn't an issue, I've currently got a RAID with only -two- drives. That, to me, means that the array is kaput. My only hope of retrieving -anything- at this point is to re-merge the working "cracked" array with the good "orphan" drive; and I have less and less hope of that every day.

Quote:
The 4500's are good units, but are server class equipment with server noise.
My 4100 lives in a (closed) closet in a spare bedroom about 35 feet from the computer room, separated by two doors. Whenever we have overnight guests (at least once a month) I power down the server so they don't have to listen to the server noise all night long. (That's part of the reason my 4100 is showing 91 restarts after only two years.)

Quote:
The Guardian OS is more polished, OS resides on HD. So if you get a blank unit you need a working one to get it started up. Plus the OS is over $600+ the reason some are using alternate/free NAS software.
Yeah. I saw a 4500 on eBay, but the seller is looking for $500 (plus shipping!) and it comes with no drives. (I.E. will need to buy the Guardian OS on top of the server.)

That's over 30x more than I paid for my 4100!!

A 4500 may be a nice machine, but for that kind of scratch it better be self-aware and able to fix itself. I mean, seriously... I could build an entire linux RAID box for less than half that, including the drives.
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote