View Single Post
Unread 05-14-2003, 04:39 AM   #1
Cathar
Thermophile

Default The "Cascade" - mini-cup directed jet-impingement block design (56K warn)

Well this is my final conceptual merging of a number of block concepts drawn from a number of sources into an affordably machined design.

Basically drawing upon the White Water concepts, Volenti's directed jet pipes, BigBen2K's cups (rather than dimples), and jaydee116's mass-jet array block, and bringing them all together into a cohesive and (somewhat) affordably machinable design.

Anyway, this is what came back from the work-shop today. It's hard to describe just how fine and intricate the array of jet tubes is when looking at it "in person". The eyes/brain really does have trouble focusing on just what's going on there. Fortunately the wonders of close-up digital camera flash photography gives a clearer image.

Anyway, the block is presently being tested. At present it's testing at about 0.5C worse than the White Water, but this is a fresh application of Arctic Silver 3. The White Water's temps were taken after 2 days of the thermal paste "settling in", and typically 1C or so is gained after an initial overnight "burn-in". This makes testing somewhat slow and painful, but I guess that this helps to give a clearer idea of final performance. I'll find out tomorrow if the design really does exceed the White Water for cooling performance. I have a number of bases with differing hole/cup geometries to try, so it's going to be a few weeks of testing to isolate the best base setup.

Anyway, here's the piccies.

Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote