View Single Post
Unread 12-18-2005, 05:31 PM   #585
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Apogee from Swiftech...

Another excelent article from coolingmasters, but I have a few concerns.

While the IHS temp he measured is not as good as Tjunction, it is about as good as we are going to get on an IHS capped cpu in real world testing.

I'm assuming this was one of the P4's that were not indium soldered as it would be near impossible to place an thermocouple that accurately with the IHS still on.

What I find very odd though, is that the review did not do an IHS-Air comparison. Doing it myself I find (for 12v fan 1.74v) a delta of 13.8 for the apogee setup, and 15.3 for the storm setup. (EDIT: NVM, he did a air to water comparison which showed the deltas to be consistent so the IHS to water is just as useful to IHS to water)

The deltas are a bit strange if you ask me. the article states that the MCR-220 radiator doesnt get much of a gain from 1.55-1.9 gpm based off of Swiftechs own testing. With that information, the 1.5C gain in performance seems a bit odd. Also, based on Lee's testing, the Storm performs 2.9C better at 1.55gpm compared to the Apogee at 1.9gpm. Now I know the data is not comparable (IHS to no IHS and different test beds), it does show trends that are complete polar opposites.

Another interesting point is the inconsistency between IHS-water temps. for the Apogee setup, the difference between 1.74 and 1.4v with the 12v fan is lower than the 5volt fan setup (.2C less delta). Correct me if I'm wrong, but physics doesnt allow this to happen, does it?? For all fairness, the same thing is present on the Storm setup with a .1C delta drop. In any case I believe this shows something has gone a bit wacky with the test setup.

I should point out that I am continuing the Storm vs. Apogee discussion here, just conveying my thoughts on the test data that cooling-masters presented.

I should also state that I have the utmost respect for coolingmasters and have always found their watercooling articles to be some of the best around.

Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
MaxxxRacer is offline   Reply With Quote