View Single Post
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #1369
Jagar
Cooling Neophyte

Default Ignorance + Dumb luck = 2 HDD on a Snap M1000?

This is my first post so -Hi all!- and Thank You for your help to upgrade my Snap so far.

Snap Model: 1000 v2 (Portion of OS on HDD)
Hardware: 3.1.1
Bios: 2.1.364
Serial: 117###

Before I completely understood the risk involved I used a PC ATA IDE ribbon with three connectors and an wye power splitter cable to attach two hard drives to my Snap. The primary Quantum drive (30Gigs) jumper was set to CS and the secondary drive (WD 160Gigs) jumper set to slave. I powered on the unit, the Snap found and formatted the secondary drive at boot and now the secondary drive seems to be functioning well as SHARE_2.

I have found two quirks with this set-up. One is that the secondary drive does not turn off or spin down when the server is turned off. Two, if I remove the secondary drive the web utility shows Share_2 as not available but under the Disc Status menu only the primary drive is shown; although I guess that is not much of a quirk per-se.

With both drives attached I tried other combinations of jumper settings too. Master/slave and CS/CS but neither of those other settings was successful. (IIRC)

I didn’t know if those of you who actually know what you are doing, unlike me LOL, would find this information of any interest so I thought I would share. Perhaps it bears repeating that I may have had success with this out of shear and total luck? Or maybe not…but I don’t want to mislead others into bricking their M1000’s.

I have a 320GB Seagate on order to replace the Quantum 30GB. I’ll DD the Quontum image first of course – then store the Quantum for safe keeping.

If this configuration is apparently working currently do you think I can continue this 2 drives configuration? I’m interested in your thoughts.
Jagar is offline   Reply With Quote