View Single Post
Unread 05-25-2003, 09:12 PM   #64
flyingass
Cooling Neophyte

Ok, i took mine apart, it does in fact have brushes, so my worry about rf/electrical noise still stands. If computer equipment can take the sort of noise this kind of motor would introduce, i can't imagine it would be good for the lifespan or stability of components.

And, no, this pump's motor is unlike the brushless motors used in fans. I'm not sure about hard/cd/dvd drives, but if they use brushed motors, they undoubtedly have noise reducing circuitry connected.

The suggestion of a large cap in parallel with the motor would be fairly effective. i'd say 2200uf would be a minimum, since low-voltage caps are cheap and small. Personally since i have a 10kuf cap around here somewhere, i'll be using that.

The diode would also help to reduce noise.
On my pump, brown wire is negative, blue positive.

Word of warning: DO NOT disassemble the motor housing unless you want to spend an hour (or more) trying to get the brushes back into place. it's a *huge* pain in the ass.

The supplier i mentioned in my other post was out when i checked yesterday, but they have a couple more locations i'll check with.
flyingass is offline   Reply With Quote