View Single Post
Unread 11-22-2004, 07:30 AM   #82
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

I don't think there's a way to answer your question from the data here - unless there's a way to tell from pump curves how much heat a pump will put into water(...?)

The idea is that every pump puts some heat into the water - and that it varies by pump and loop resistance (although it doesn't necessarily go up with resistance).
Many water blocks become more efficient as they have water pushed through them at higher head. No matter how efficient, all water blocks start out with a "base" temperature - which is coolant temp.
Your radiator/fan setup has some limit beyond which coolant temperatures rise.
So... Cathar's point was that there's a "point of diminishing returns" where pump heat has warmed the coolant more than any gain in waterblock efficiency can compensate for.

The curves you've posted show pressure/volume, which, I think, might be used to predict waterblock efficiency. But you'd also need pump heat figures to get the rest of the equation.
AFAIK the only real way to get pump heat figures is to run the pump in an insulated loop and measure heat rise, but it's not going to be more than the power you're putting into the pump - but I don't see any figures for amps or wattage (I might be missing it, of course). The "external 4-20mA" seems to refer to input from an external control circuit (which is way cool but not the pump wattage figure).
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote