Thread: Closet cooling?
View Single Post
Unread 03-31-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
captainfepa
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Closet cooling?

Pro-handyman, your name says it all: It is possible that a pro handyman looks forward to installation of a closet modem and router as a long-awaited excuse for replacing a door with a louvered one (!) and remodeling the wall. And sometimes all of that might be necessary. And there's more than one way to skin a cat. But... my point is that it should be darned simple to make a $5, four-inch-square plastic casing that will provide some modest cooling very easily, cheaply, attractively, and reliably (at least for a four- to eight-year life of the equally cheap, easy-to-replace fan). What I'm hoping by this posting is that cooling afficionados will promote this idea to those in a position to make up and distribute such a device - even though doors and walls could be replaced as an alternative. (And I, by the way, am a pro handyman who actually did build my own house, with my own hands for the most part!)

I understand the alternatives you mention: I did install louvered doors on the basement closets that hold my furnace and my water heater, and a grille panel above the door of the closet that holds my washer/dryer. In another closet I have a cable modem, router, UPS, NAS, wireless phone base unit, and obsolete computer I'm not using yet. If I ever find a use for the old computer (as a network security appliance, physical security monitor, or telephone interface) that seems worth the cost of its electricity even if somewhat strained for practicality, I'd like to add a bit of cooling, and I think the type of gadget I describe should be perfect.
captainfepa is offline   Reply With Quote